Saturday, June 6, 2009

Parlez-vous français?


Rode out to the South-Jetty area near Loleta Ca. Met with Father Herman at the Table Bluff Monastery, where once again, I received an excellent meal. Father Herman then asked me to accompany him to his study. We talked about my ride over on Hwy 36 then he mentioned that he had raced bicycles in Europe back in the 60's. He asked me where my travels would take me next and I told him that I really had no particular destination in mind. With that he turned and gazed out a window that over-looked the ocean below. "How would you like to accompany me to Dijon in the North of France?" He looked back to me. "The Dauphine Libere Bicycle race rolls through there on Monday and we can drive to Le Mont Ventoux for a spectacular alpine fifth stage." My mind was reeling. "How in the world can you arrange something like that in such short order... You don't even know me!" "My son, the little statue that you carried here is no accident! This trip has been arranged for months now, but Brother Jure has been called to our sister monastery, St. Nilus in Ouzinke, Alaska. Because of this, we have an extra round-trip ticket out of San Francisco Airport. We leave tomorrow and will be in France on Sunday. We shall return in 10 days!"

No comments: