Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Greetings From Platina, Ca.


Got off to a nice early start yesterday The bike seems to be rolling along just fine, even at 65 pounds! The climb from the high bridge over Clear Creek up to Igo was tough and long. I've had plenty of head-time out here! It wasn't too far out of town that I realized I had forgotten to have the bike blessed by Father Westling, as I had planned. Then it occurred to me that I could stop in to St. Herman's Monastery (in Platina) and see if Father Seraphim Rose was there to bless my bicycle. I arrived around 1 p.m. whereupon I was immediately ushered to the dinner table and fed, while my bike was taken off for the anointing. These monks are such wonderful people, I am starting to think I might just stay here all month!

1 comment:

fuzzballdaddy said...

I shall impersonate a man. His name is Alonso Quijana, a country squire no longer young. Being retired, he has much time for books. He studies them from morn till night and often through the night and morn again, and all he reads oppresses him; fills him with indignation at man's murderous ways toward man. He ponders the problem of how to make better a world where evil brings profit and virtue none at all; where fraud and deceit are mingled with truth and sincerity. He broods and broods and broods and broods and finally his brains dry up. He lays down the melancholy burden of sanity and conceives the strangest project ever imagined - -to become a knight-errant, and sally forth into the world in search of adventures; to mount a crusade; to raise up the weak and those in need. No longer will he be plain Alonso Quijana, but a dauntless knight known as Don Quixote de La Mancha.