Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Epilogue


At 8 a.m. the Northern California representative from Mohawk Carpets, rolled up the off ramp in his mini van. We loaded my bike into the back and got on I-5, heading for Redding. "Jim, I hope you don't mind but I have one stop in Chico and then we'll get you back home." "No problem at all Bob, I'm just so grateful to not have to pedal up the valley in this heat!" I replied. We stopped at Floors By Ray and then we drove out North on Hwy 99E. "I like to cut over Woodson Bridge to Corning!" Said Bob. And then it hit me. There still is one day left of my Month long vacation, "I think I'll have you drop me off at the monastery in Vina."
It seems that I have a knack for arriving at monasteries around lunch time and the little Abbey of New Clairvaux was no exception. I was welcomed by a few of the monks who were carrying a large kettle on a pole that rested on their shoulders. "Welcome Brother, please lunch with us!" The Iron kettle contained one of the finest French Lentil stews I have ever eaten! The brick oven baked French Bread was a delight for the senses. My afternoon with the monks was a time of great personal peace and gentle encouragement. Most surprising was the Tempur-pedic mattresses used exclusively at the monastery. I slept like a dead man on a sand dune in Zion.
Now it is 5 a.m. I have had my breakfast and am getting ready to ride back to Redding. I'll make some stops along the way, nice and easy.

No comments: