Monday, January 14, 2008

A game of Fox and Hound

I joined the Gazzigli group for a beautiful Sunday ride yesterday. I was on my Redline 925, one speed with a freewheel. It's a 34x18 gear, so it's a real spinner! I got off the front immediately going up the Gold St. hill to St. Joesph's then out Placer St. when I suddenly realized, hey this ain't a gad dern'd cyclo-cross race! But then, since I knew where they were going, (the gate, out on Iron Mt.) I decided that since I was riding the CX tires why not cross country over hill and dale and see if I can rejoin them out there . So I spun and tucked and spun and tucked and I worked my way out to the Keswick boat ramp. The Redding Marathon was in full progress so I saw many runners pounding and limping their way along. I stopped to see the bicycles coming up the road behind me so I waved adieu to them, then dropped down to the Rail Trail below and took the Dirt Shunt over to Keswick Dam. Then it was a simple roll in on the River Trail. Along the way I saw the broken and twisted bodies of runners at their sport and I thought to myself, Thank God I'm Cyclin' Boy!

No comments: