Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chains and Gears


It really does not need to be as complicated as I am making it, but here I go. I am baffled by the wear pattern on the teeth of my bicycles gears. It seems to me that the backside of the teeth should be ramped and not the front. Of course, back and front are relative terms. Without a diagram to accompany my little mechanical mystery I must simply ask you to bear with me here. To my way of thinking... forget it! I'll report back to you. Seems to me it's Chemistry.

1 comment:

littlejim said...

Now you see, I am not a expert on anything; just one that is a master of none. I once rode on a fine re bike (Tim Seely's) for 25 miles in one gear. This gear was identical to the one in your analogy (42-17). With this gear I rode up the steepest hill, coasted down the steepest hill, and had the most fun ride I have ever had on a bike by myself. Did the teeth wear? Ask Tim. But I Jim, am too a man of great thoughts (it comes with the name). I do look forward to hearing the rest of your thought so I too can go through the night sleepless and pondering on something seemingly meenless. Our thoughts do mean something!