Saturday, May 2, 2009

Sudden Lawn Mower Death Syndrome.


I was out mowing the hay in the back yard last Saturday when suddenly, ignoring all the lessons I've ever learned about never edging with a mower, I tipped the machine up on two wheels and began running it down a razors edge of certain doom. As the big 6.5 horse power droned away at full cry, I deftly trimmed an expert line like a pro. My weed eater was in the shop so I figured I would tempt fate just this one time and went for it. Almost immediately I heard (and felt) a sickening SNAP, then dead silence. My mower was dead. Discreetly, I looked around to see if anyone else had heard the unmistakable harbinger of SUDDEN LAWN MOWER DEATH SYNDROME! Thankfully, I didn't see anyone snickering or shaking their head so I thought I would try pulling the engine through and see how bad it was. I noticed a wisp of smoke raising from the super hot engine and with a puff, she fired off. I resumed cutting and it seemed to be o.k. but then, as I got back into the deep hay, I heard the sound of the blade hitting the inside of the deck. I stopped the mower and tipped it up to have a look. The blade was slightly bent from striking the solid steel stake I'd hit but I could see no contact with the deck during a full sweep of it's orbit. I fired off again. A hammering sound pulsed from the motor under a load, sounding like a blacksmith striking an anvil, ringing through the neighborhood. I checked again and again. Then it occurred to me that I had jammed the connecting rod and that was what was making the noise. By now the mower was so hot that I felt it was in danger of melting any aluminum parts it may have. I parked it and said screw it. Chalk-up another lawn mower to stupidity! But then, last night I went out back just to have another look and upon checking the oil I discovered that it wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I added 30 wt. to the proper level and fired it up. Lo and behold, it seems to be fine. I mowed for about an hour with no problem. Conclusion, It was the rod knocking due to insufficient oil. My only saving grace is the fact that I was running 40 to 1 premix gas in my mower and maybe that saved it from seizure.

1 comment:

fuzzballdaddy said...

Those of you who notice a discrepency on the date and time signiture of this article will kindly be encouraged to suspend your disbelief. FuzzballPoly is a real human with real vacation needs.