Monday, March 26, 2012

Home From L.A.


I've got to tell you, when I opened the letter with the words Occidental College written upon it, I was a little concerned. After all these years, had they finally traced those days of indiscretion and acts of vandalism (we called it art!) to me? I opened the letter and found inside an invitation to attend an unveiling ceremony (from my old friend and veteran professor of art history and the visual arts, Linda Lyke), "Destructive Beauty," at South Pasadena's LouWe Gallery. The mural, is composed of 26 one-foot-square glazed ceramic tiles and features, among other things, old photos and excerpts of poems, letters, and musical scores by Occidental alumni and faculty past and present. Anyway, to make a long story short* I went, I saw, I had the time of my life and was regaled by many at the event as "One of those crazy hippies over at the old Quonset hut, back in the '70's!"
*the rest of the story will be the subject of this coming year's Christmas letter.

No comments: