Saturday, February 2, 2008

Meat the Puppets

She's a large woman who walks about 10 to 15 feet behind her husband(?) and her big yapper is always working. I have seen them walking the streets of Redding for at least 10 years. Up until rescently I've only caught their act from the windshield of my car as I drive to and from work. But the other day the little circus rolled right up to Carpet Mart's parking lot (my job) and within one minute of watching and listening to them the missing pieces (actually I knew it all along) fell into place and the whole ugly puzzle was complete. She is running an unrelenting tirade/assault on the man's character in what she judges to be his complete ineptness and general, utter failure as such. All the while the little man just ambles along in a kind of permanent cringing posture, like a taunted boy being shot with a pea shooter over and over.

Now I'm not sure what kind of archtypal/metaphor these two are the unwitting, puppet-show actors of but I will say this: watching their dynamic reminds me that at some level we all subscribe to the lables others put on us, as well as the ones we put on ourselves. The trick is to reinvent ourselves when things aren't working and regularly reviewing where we are honestly coming from. I just hope that some day that little man spins on his heels and says to her, "You know what Bee-auch! You get on the point and let me draft offa you for awhile!"

No comments: