Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas on the Half-Shell


Sitting here asking myself that age old, English question: Is it time for another cuppa tea? I have just finished up reading that icon of 70's literature, Venus on the half-shell. I am a slow reader. I read at night while lying in bed, so usually, I only go a half-an-hour (tops) before I'm dropping the book on my face, nodding off. But I'm a tenacious little Son-of-A-gun and after a fortnight's worth of reading I have an answer to that age old question: "Why is man born only to suffer and die?" The answer is, of course, "Why not?!"

1 comment:

San Fran Cup said...

And again I say,"Why Not".
That sounds like a wonderful night.

Where do you come up with these trifectas?
The answer to this question is
My bicyle and my trusty "CAMERA EYE". As I ride this through this
kaleidoscope called San Francisco,
I photograph what I see, drink and
eat. This also creates the journel
called "San Fran Cup" for those who wish to be, must put aside the alienation
Get on with the fascination
The real relation
The underlying theme.

First attested 1817 in English, the word "kaleidoscope" derives from the Greek καλός (kalos), "beautiful"[1] + είδος (eidos), "shape"[2] + σκοπέω (scopeο), "to look at, to examine"[3][4] : "looking at beautiful forms.


The kaleidoscope was invented by Sir David Brewster in 1816 while conducting experiments on light polarization; Brewster patented it in 1817. His initial design was a tube with pairs of mirrors at one end, and pairs of translucent disks at the other, and beads between the two. Initially intended as a science tool, the kaleidoscope was quickly copied as a toy. Brewster believed he would make money from his popular invention; however, a fault in the wording of his patent allowed others to copy his invention.



Head first humanity
Pause at a light
Then flow through the streets of the city

They seem oblivious
To a soft spring rain
Like an English rain
So light, yet endless
From a leaden sky

The buildings are lost
In their limitless rise
My feet catch the pulse
And the purposeful stride

I feel the sense of possibilities
I feel the wrench of hard realities
The focus is sharp in the city.

Merry Christmas,
SFC