Friday, March 21, 2008

I give you, The 1987 MONOHOPPER!!!



















The project started by stripping every piece off the frame and forks. I had Nick from Bikes Etc. shave the derailleur hanger and rack lugs off. Then he machined out the axle drop-outs. When he returned it to me, I prepped and painted the rear triangle, forks and select other parts with orange Rustoleum, rattle-can paint. We rebuilt the bottom bracket, head set, pedals, and hubs, then replaced the hollow axle the bike came with and installed a solid axle. Then Randy worked his magic on the wheels by first making the front wheel round(!) and then he dished and spaced the rear wheel to create a perfect chain-line with a new BMX style single speed free wheel (20t) and single Sugino chain ring (40t). We trimmed it out with blue cable housings and orange "Da Kine" grips.








3 comments:

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

Sweet ride, my man. Thanks for the pix.

Anonymous said...

She does look good! I hear you and your brother have recently been out trying to tear each-others legs off on the bike. Sounds like fun!

fuzzballdaddy said...

It's weird, my little brother turned 50 in December and now his mid-life crisis has kicked in as mine did 2 years ago. We're late bloomers I guess!